Adopt a Pet
Every time you adopt a pet from the Humane Society of Polk County Inc, you enable us to save the life of another orphaned animal in great need.
Our Adoption Process – Due to Covid 19 regulations we are only allowing those who are serious about adopting to come into the shelter.
Step 1: Fall in Love
Stop by our adoption center to find your new best friend. Once you find a dog or cat that tugs at your heart, you can visit and see if there is a love connection.
Step 2: Meet with a Counselor
Our well-informed staff will fill you in on the pet’s story and answer any questions you may have. These questions will help ensure that your new pet will be a great fit for your family.
Step 3: Complete the Adoption
After you find the dog or cat that best fits your home, you will fill out an adoption contract and receive the pet adoption kit and records.
Please note: Saturdays are our busiest adoption day, so we ask for your patience. You may have to wait 15-30 minutes to visit with a furry friend.
What you’ll need to bring:
To make your adoption speedy, please bring the following items with you to the Humane Society:
- Picture ID with your current address
- Your landlord’s telephone number, if you’re a renter
- Proper form of payment (cash or credit/debit card)
- Spay/neuter with physical exam
- First set of shots (including rabies shot if age appropriate)
- Collar, tag, leash/carrier
- Feline leukemia / AIDS test
- Microchip implant with registration